January 22, 2010

Hope For Haiti Now

I'm currently in the process of watching the "Hope For Haiti Now" telethon, on TNT. And, so far, it has been absolutely amazing.

It's wonderful and touching that they were able to organize a show like this, and receive the assistance of so many celebrities of various types in a relatively short amount of time.

There are lots of different ways you can give, to help Haiti in light of this tragedy. Visit the site for more info. ~ http://hopeforhaitinow.org/

The survival stories have been especially inspiring and heart-warming. People found days after the devastating quake, trapped under mounds of rubble, some miraculously alive.

Living in California, earthquakes are a fairly constant worry for me (me and most of the state). When I see the devastation this quake has brought to Port Au Prince, I can't help but empathize as I imagine what I would do. Hell, California is waiting for a quake of similar magnitude. I grew up being warned that it was coming for us, while doing weekly earthquake drills (which I find are actually very little help when the world is crashing down around you so quickly). And, though this same situation has crossed my mind and given me day/nightmares time and time again. I STILL can't wrap my brain around what I would do, if I lost everything and everyone in my life...

I would like to think that I would be half as strong as most of the Haitian people I'm watching right now. I'd like to think that I would be one quarter as strong as Monley, the little 5 year old boy that was just found alive after 8 days trapped beneath a crumbled building without food, water, comfort, room to move an inch...

I know that we never know how strong we are until we have to be. I believe that, and I know from experience that it's true. But... honestly... I'm not quite arrogant enough to believe that I could be quite THAT strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment