January 27, 2010

The Uselessness of Regret

I have long held to the statement that I do not believe in regret. In a way, that's inaccurate. Obviously, I have to acknowledge that regret exists. And, I'm certainly not innocent of never having regretted a choice, a decision, an outcome, something done to me, something I've done....

Still, I firmly stand by the assertion that to regret even a single moment in your life is to regret who you are. And I, for one, refuse to regret who I am.

I am not perfect. I have never claimed to be, and I never will. I don't believe in perfection. Frankly, if "perfect" were even possible, I would find it rather boring and devoid of life. Personally, I find that it's peoples imperfections that make them interesting in the first place.

Still, I like who I am, for the most part. I have plenty of flaws. I have to live with having made some bad decisions. I have to acknowledge that I have been; stupid, wrong, even "crazy" on more than one occasion (and I'm not even half way through with my life... hopefully).

But, in the end, I like who I am. I think everyone should give that a try - like who you are. Unless you're Ted Bundy or the like (Hey, there are always exceptions to every realm of thought)

I have done my best to stick to my own principles and ethics, while being open to changes, though I admittedly have fallen short. I have done my best to be a; good friend, good daughter, good wife, good mother, good worker, etc., whenever I felt that I needed to/should be.

When all is said and done, more than one of my "bad" decisions lead to the privilege of being a mother to two gorgeous, sweet, thoughtful, helpful little girls who I couldn't imagine my life without. Other "regrettable" occurrences or choices have resulted in; a deeper understanding of self, the realization of a strength I didn't know I had, a broader range of life experiences (and, therefore, the ability to sympathize with more of my fellow humans), an immeasurable appreciation for the love I share with my fiance...

As difficult as I may find it to live with some of the things I've done or said or experienced... each and every one of those things has brought me to where I am and made me who I am. Each and every one has resulted in an imperfect life that is sometimes depressing, but always blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment