January 21, 2010

It's Raining, It's Pouring...

But, there is no old man snoring... not in the house at least.

I really do love the rain. I even love thunder and lightning storms. But, this is ridiculous!

Just two minutes ago, the wind was blowing so strong I could hear trash cans, pet food dishes, even pets being tossed around outside like excessively noisy leaves! Then, the rain started coming down so hard, I swear I dared to open the door for just a moment, so I could make sure we weren't getting golf-ball sized hail!

I just got off the phone with my grandmother in Massachusetts; she was concerned that perhaps we were having to be evacuated, or otherwise suffering injury to pets, people, or property. Luckily, for us, we're located in a fairly safe location when compared to other areas of the state. We're not close enough to hills that we have to worry about mudslides. Our little corner of the valley has a pretty good draining system (and the L.A. wash just down the street), so flooding is minimal, even when the rain is coming down in sheets. We haven't had any tornados touch down anywhere near us (knock on wood), though earlier today we did experience gusts of wind that I swore was Mother Nature attempting to kill me! They picked up right as I was sitting on the porch enjoying what seemed a calm, gentle, mini-rainstorm. I actually had trouble getting the front door to close as I bolted into the house and the outdoor (stray) cats booked it into the relative safety of the garage.

So, in all seriousness, I appreciate the refill to California's reservoirs. I appreciate the opportunity to finally enjoy a bit of rain. I appreciate the break from the sweltering heat and near-constant sun California is famous for.

But... Dude... if I drown... in California... ON LAND... I am going to be one pissed off dead woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment